Have you ever tried this simple hack for crispier nachos at camp? If you’re travelling with a hooded barbecue or Weber Baby Q oven, you’re in luck as Jamie for the Offroad Adventure Show explains:
“I love putting the old chips in the old Weber [before adding the sauce], just warming them up, make them a little bit more crisper. ”
In the segment below, Jamie prepares enough nachos to feed the *whole* crew, Borgy, with two toasty trays ready to go. Jamie’s gone old school with this but we reckon you could chuck in some spices if you’re chasing a bit of kick as well. Yummo!
What you need
- 1kg mince
- Pack of nacho spice mix (optional)
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 400g tin 4-bean mix
- 400g refried beans
- 1 large bag corn chips
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or avacado dip
- Kick this shindig off by dicing your onions up nice and small, before popping them in your skillet to brown.
- After five or so minutes, add your mince in to brown and mix it with the onion. Add the optional spice mix.
- Once brown add in your cans of diced tomatoes, refried beans and 4-bean mix. Make sure all of this liquid is drained from the cans of beans before adding them to the pan.
- While that’s simmering away, layer your chips evenly in an oven tray.
- Place them int oyur camp oven or hooded BBQ to warm up.
- When the chips are nice and hot, remove them from the oven. Then pour the mince mixture over the top of the chips ensuring they’re evenly covered with the mince, right to the edges of the tray.
- Sprinkle a couple of handfuls of grated cheese over the top, then pop it back into your oven.
- When the cheese is melted and browned on top, they’re ready to go. Top with sour cream and guacamole, then enjoy!